Pages

Friday 5 December 2014

Exclusive Interview with 9ice – Abolore Akande

He is popularly known as 9ice but his birth name is 'Alexander Abolore Adegbola Adigun Alapomeji Ajifolajifaola'. He is from the south, precisely Ogbomosho in Oyo state and grew up in Lagos. One of his biggest hit song is ‘Gongo Aso’ and he is not just a musician and founder of Alapomeji Records, 9ice has made his interest known in politics by deciding to contest for a seat in the House of Representative in Ogbomosho (South and North/Orire Constituency).



Funmi Shittu: Such a pleasure to have you on the Celeb-Hub, glad we are able to discuss about you, your political career and your aspirations. Everyone knows you as 9ice the singer and songwriter of Gongo Aso and Street Credibility. By the way ‘street credibility is still one of my favourite songs.

Nonetheless, this question has been on the mind of everyone, on why you have decided to take on politics? I mean you have it all, a successful songwriter, with hits upon hits, sold millions of records and I know you are blessed financially.
Besides you’ve got the money, the fame, could it be that now you want the political power? Basically why have decided to contest for a seat in Ogbomosho (South and North/Orire Constituency) as a House of Rep?

Abolore (9ice): Lawyers leave their profession and participate in politics to be voted for, doctors, engineers and so on. I'm yet to see somewhere in politics that states that an entertainer can't be voted for in Nigerian constitution. I am not looking for power because power belongs to the people and I am one of them, not for fame and certainly not for money but for change.  Also Ogbomosho is my home town, Ogbomosho because "ile latin ko eso rode" which means charity begins at home

Funmi Shittu: very true, tell me more about who you are as an individual not as the artist everyone is familiar with.

Abolore (9ice): Abolore Adegbola Akande is like every other average Nigerian. Simple, humble and a loyal disciple. I am Father of four kids whom I am very proud of Zion, Miya, Maya and Michelle.

Funmi Shittu: Aww, now Nigeria as it is, is not very stable in terms of the infrastructure, organisation and security. What does that mean to you as a future HOR?

Abolore (9ICE): Agriculture: Orire Local Government Area is populated by farmers. There are no tractors, no fertilizers and no loan scheme. Orire is the biggest and you can move around for two days and still not cover the whole of Orire (LGA) because of the landscape. In the 3 local govt area there is no transportation for school students and hence I intend to provide for all students including Lautech students. Also, there's no health care centre that function and that I also intend to provide with adequate and continuous provision of drugs and other facilities needed to ensure a functioning health care centre.

In addition, small medium enterprise is one key aspect of my empowerment scheme for the people of the constituency. For instance, barbers, bread makers, hairdressers and so on. Not just teaching them but giving them small loans to start up the skills they've learnt. Empowerment by employment!

I also have plans to take care of the widows, the less privileged and women of that constituency by providing loans for able ones, giving stipend to the widows every month and helping the less privileged to participate and enjoy equal available amenities and right in the society. 


Funmi Shittu: Wow that will be something, now in the light of recent political events in this present office administration movements, what changes can you influence if you eventually get elected?

 
Abolore (9ice): Changes that I will bring about are very evident in my agenda. This is common with all politicians but enforcement and seeing all the programs to the end is the key factor of all this initiative. 

Funmi Shittu: This brings me to my next question, what bothers you so much about Ogbomosho that makes you want to go in as an HOR and make a change.

Abolore (9ice): So many things bother me: seeing graduate driving Okada as a daily job, seeing graduates wasting and the young ones are not assured of their future, leaders telling this generation that we are the leaders of tomorrow when I know that we are the leaders of today. 500naira in Ogbomosho for an average person is like 5000naira. No job, no structure in place, no future no plans and is purely in shamble

Funmi Shittu: Hmmmm, very deep. Looking at your life, what mistakes have you made and how have you learned from it?

Abolore (9ice): Mistakes are there to be made but corrections is what we all should embrace. Have made a whole lots of mistakes. Have learnt from them, as a result have become better. For instance, I should have studied political science when I was offered instead of wanting to study law. So many instances.

Funmi Shittu: It is sad that Nigeria as a country as almost given up on the government due to the obvious and the state of affairs with that in mind tell me why everyone should vote for you considering all that?

Abolore (9ice): Taba ni Ka diju ki eni buruku fi koja Ti eni rere mafi koja lo a o ni mo (if we decide to shut the door of opportunities for people to excel or aspire for positions in this country because of experience we would never see a better country or a better person). People should trust me because I have street credibility and People should trust me because I can deliver all agendas, also I have huge plans for my constituency.

Funmi Shittu: However in Nigeria people do not just wake up and decide to go into politics, where you inspired by someone or do you have any strong political personalities behind you?

Abolore (9ice): I am inspired by the best reliable father Babatunde Raji Fashola, I am also inspired by Aregbesola rauf adesoji. These are fathers who anyone can testify and crosscheck their track records that they have exceeded the perfection of what "moneyticians" made us to believe that it was impossible.

Funmi Shittu: Haven’t said all that, is this end of the road for your music career? Am sure your fans are eager to know this considering the fact that no one sings like you in Nigeria.

Abolore (9ice): Singing is a talent which I can’t leave behind. My works is still on going and if I get there inshallau my music will still be relevant and I intend to still release more albums in the future.

Funmi Shittu: Thank you so much for your time and it’s been so nice talking to you and I wish you success in your political career and hope you win to create the change you seek.


Abolore (9ice): Thank you so much for having me on your blog.

















For more on his campaigns, follow on 
Instagram @iam9ice
Twitter @i_am9ice

No comments:

Post a Comment