Pages

Friday 25 April 2014

So You want to get Married! Why?



I am going to be doing a series on 'So you want to get Married' and here is an introduction. 

Firstly, I am not here to lay down rules or dos and don’ts but to share my thoughts about why should we really go into this institution called marriage and probably think very well before we embark on this blissful journey created by God. Indeed marriage is a beautiful thing!

Now, can we pray enough before getting married to this person to make sure he or she is the right person? Do I love him or her enough to get married and knowing that love is really not enough to a lasting marriage. Also the most famous remark people always say; I heard from God that he or she is 'The One'. Was it really God? Now bearing in mind a lot of people have said that they heard from God that this person is their spouse and still ended up in divorce. Does this mean God is liar? (God forbid because His words clearly states God is not a Human that he should lie in Numbers 23:19) or people just hear what they Want to hear. Possibly they actually heard from God! So what happened? 

This is a very important question that everyone should ponder about with regards to "why do I want to get married". Is it just okay to be in love with each other! Is love more than enough? What about finances? Is the person buoyant enough to look after me? How much money really should either party be worth? Should I get married for the sake of companionship or so I can be free from my parents. Or to be counted amongst the married couples or you want someone to make you happy because it’s getting really boring been alone? Or maybe you've always wanted a big fancy wedding? Or it’s the age factor, because all your friends in your inner circle are married.


Are you getting married to this person solely because you are pregnant or been pressured too. Why should we really get married? Lastly but the list is not exhausted, are you getting married because you are pregnant or you believe you are ready to settle down? Or should I even get married at all? Better still, It could just be for my immigration status.

This is such a huge topic and I would love to hear your opinions, your thoughts about what you think. Whether, you are already married or not, divorce or in a relationship. Why do you want to or did you get married? Am eager to hear your opinions, please share your views and thoughts with me and others. In my next series I will be discussing my opinion and I would also be sharing professional and experts opinions on the subject matter. Until then I look forward to hearing from you. All opinions are welcome! Like I said I am here to learn from you too.
J

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. The truth is that people marry for different reason. For instant I married because I was pregnant although we were dating and now we are still married 4years on. The love wasn't overly crazy like that. Do I regret no. Because I love my son. Thanks funmi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear,very good question,marriage is sweet if done the right way and also follow the advice the bible gave..Also can be bitter if u ar not careful and ready for it! be very sure and ready and be best friends before and after marriage.create a solid foundation in your relationship,do not try to change ur spouse instead pray and support .correct in love .so my answer is we get married because 2 shall come together and become 1 with love, also marriage is honorable says the bible.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not think marriage should be based soley on love. What is love? This thing called love fades eventually. Let your spouse be your best friend,someone you can rely on at all times. In my opinion,this will carry you through in that institution called marriage. It doesn't mean it will be smooth but it will be more tolerable. We need to quit getting married becuse we want a grand wedding,after the wedding then what? I am about to get married and all I can think about is life after the wedding. This person is who you will wake up to for the rest of your life so its advisable to choose carefully and pray vehemently. After all said and done,you can't know it all before you marry someone. People change in marriage so its only God that can help us because he created it and its meant to be enjoyed. Its such a large topic and I will also like to read what others have to say especially the married ones. Thanks Funmi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I married because I fell in love. It's six years now and we are still in love like it was yesterday. www.secretlilies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello am so glad to know you are still in love. I wish you all the best in your marriage. Thanks for your contribution. X

      Delete
  5. I agree with bassy. Apart from loving my husband i got married because of the belive and peace from God within me..I believe it will be blessed from God , Who has created this instituion. I believe for a marriage both husband and wife should be willing to make it work constantly and allow God to lead them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post I must say! I got married because my husband and I knew it was the best way to consummate our real love instead of sneaking around each other and sinning. Also because we had similar goals and aspirations which we wanted to share wt each other. Knowing our friendship was strongly established before marriage has continously helped us even during difficult times. It's definitely worth knowing/clearly stating your reasons before entering in to the institution called marriage. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for all your comments and contributions! I learnt a lot from your views.

    ReplyDelete